Saturday, October 14, 2006

Veil Chic, Bathos Girl

As I was listening this morning to mawkish NPR host Scott Simon and DIY pop god Billy Bragg laud the UK for its supposed embrace of cultural diversity, I couldn't help recalling Jack Straw's ill-considered musings last week about the deleterious effects of veil-wearing on communication and community. Naturally, opposition MP's were only too happy to chime in on this topic, and now the, er, veil has been dropped: a Muslim teacher in West Yorkshire has been suspended for wearing a veil in class.

I saw a lot of veiled Muslim women while I was in Asia this summer, and let me tell you that in their primary function of desexing, veils fail miserably. Problem is, veils are sexy, a point proven time and again on I Dream of Jeannie — an American show, of course, and just one of the reasons we have a leg up on the Brits on this issue. Not only that, but veils are cool, which is why ninjas were them.

In fact, how long can it be before veils are donned by the nubile smart set as a fashion statement? How cool would that be? Of course, a matching halter top would be even cooler, but that'll probably have to wait until next summer.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ubermilf said...

I think you're onto something here, Sardonic. I see many people walking around who have the perfect face for a veil.

I think you should start this fashion trend by wearing a beekeeper's veil wherever you go.

10/14/2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger Rev. Jack said...

I kinda agree...sort of...I guess...in a making apologetic excuses for a mysogynistic culture that is only a half generation away from tolerating honors kills, kinda way.

Wait a minute, I don't agree at all.

xoxo Rev. Jack

10/16/2006 11:33 AM  
Blogger Rev. Jack said...

...

Damn.

I was kinda hoping that I would have gotten a, knee-jerk reaction from booger right away.

Oh well, at least I tried.

xoxo Rev. Jack

10/16/2006 3:39 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

One would think Booger lurked around the internet, waiting to pounce at any moment...

The BoogerMan!

10/16/2006 7:21 PM  
Blogger Tits McGee said...

If it would get me into your pants, I would totally wear a veil.

10/16/2006 8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Lurk[]" is such a harsh term.

Booger

10/16/2006 9:14 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

If Tits only knew how ridiculously easy it was to get in your pants.

10/16/2006 11:55 PM  
Blogger ba said...

As for the hypocritical Mr. Bragg, his boorishness after a environmental congress at the University of Illinois in 1990 has been well-documented in song, so I need add nothing.

10/23/2006 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home