Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Pimping The War Tapes


An erstwhile associate of the Doctor's, Chuck Lacy, has been busying himself over the past couple of years exec-producing a film called The War Tapes. Chuck revealed the project's delectably simple plan (and graciously shared some footage) to a gathering of classmates from The Drinking College last May: buy five videocams, give them to soldiers on active duty in Iraq, and see what they, um, shoot. The film premiered over the weekend at the Tribeca Film Festival, where Dr. S was tickled to be in attendance. The festival director personally pimped the film with an introduction that he concluded by saying that there was "no film [he] was more proud to be showing at this year's festival". Not to be out-pimped (well, OK, maybe a little), Dr. S gives The War Tapes TWO VIALS WAY UP; check the web site for additional screenings if you're in the Tri-State area, and look for a wider release soon.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tits McGee said...

Fucking A.

Given that I live in a liberally-biased New England college town (one which may be familiar to you if you are an Amherst alum, Dr. S.), it seems likely we may get a screening soon, no?

::fingers crossed::

5/03/2006 11:50 PM  
Blogger Dr. Sardonic said...

Actually, "liberally-biased" isn't a phrase that necessarily comes to mind when I think of this film; in any event, its subjects are New Hampshire Army National Guard soldiers and their families, so I imagine it'll make its way up north at some point, but I have no idea when. The best place to find that out would be here.

5/04/2006 4:42 AM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

Am I not invited into the screening room because of last night?

5/04/2006 8:55 AM  
Blogger Tits McGee said...

I didn't mean to imply that the film was liberally-biased, but that in a liberally-biased college town, there is intense interest in the war in Iraq, and thus a likely large audience for this film.

What the hell were you doing up at 4:42 AM?

Also, I forgive you, Übie.

5/04/2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger Dr. Sardonic said...

Clarification noted, Counsel McGee.

Sleep is for pussies, dontcha see.

Übermilf is dead to me.

5/04/2006 11:42 AM  
Blogger Tits McGee said...

Red Sox fan, insomniac, and poet, too?

::swoons::



Can't you give Übie a second chance, though? She's got such nice cupcakes!

5/04/2006 3:04 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

Dr. Sardonic loves me.

He's my little cleavage monkey.

But just in case, maybe I should send him some of my chocolate chip cookies, or perhaps even brownies.

5/04/2006 6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuck L. is not only a genius and a great guy, but this film may not ever have happened without him.
I personally am honored to know him.

Mike Moriarty-The War Tapes

5/12/2006 11:52 PM  
Blogger Dr. Sardonic said...

And I'm honored you dropped by, Mike. Kudos to you and your comrades for your brave efforts on, off, and behind the camera. We'll be following the film's trajectory with great interest.

And since seeing the film, I've been mentioning with increasing frequency and pride that I have actual relatives in New Hampshire, dontcha know.

5/13/2006 12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home