Saturday, May 20, 2006

Pimping TAL: Parental Guidance Suggested

When Dr. S moved to Chicago in 1998, there were three people native sons he wanted to meet. One was radio personality Ira Glass (unbeknownst to Dr. S, all three were radio personalities, but that's a story for another time). One of the many Lab Rules in effect at that time was to not even think about calling the Doctor when This American Life was being broadcast (this was the pre-podcasting era). After this week's program, that rule may be re-instituted. So if you happen to be reading this before TAL's local airtime (it's aired twice per weekend in many major markets), stop reading this jackass blog and turn on the radio. Warning: make sure you don't need to pee beforehand, because once you start listening to the first segment, an interview with the author of The Color of Love, you will be frozen in place for half an hour — and then the second segment will make you pee your pants. The third segment is about the daughter of yet another radio personality, Joseph Helfgot, who for many years had a very popular radio show in Boston called "Talking Sex with Joseph Helfgot". The segment begins with her discussing her father's inordinately popular Human Sexuality class at the Big U, which was known on campus variously as Holes & Poles or T&A. Program note: Dr. S TA'd T&A for Dr. Joe.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sysm said...

If you would really like your mind (but not the Sardonoweiner) blown, watch "Talk Sex" on the Oxygen channel. It's like watching your great aunt talk about fisting.

Related story. About my aunt. That I'll post to my blog tonight. Too juicy for a comment.

My word verification is "afisp" which is just perfect at so many levels.

5/20/2006 8:30 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

Fisting? I don't like it.

I'm drunk and you're not here.

I want my cleavage monkey, dammit!

I had lots o gin.

Hey F... Sardonic, how are you? When are you coming to fivit? Visit?

I'll make dinner.

5/20/2006 8:49 PM  
Blogger Tits McGee said...

You are so right, Sysm. Sue Johanson rocks the house, but not the Sardonoweiner.

Übie! I like you drunk.

Sardonic, baby, I love TAL, and am now very much looking forward to hearing this week's program tomorrow night. Also, you really should post about your experience TAing for T&A. Sounds titillating.

5/20/2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

You smell.

5/24/2006 5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I normally like This American Life.

Sorry, The Color of Love didn't do it for me.

Some judges are idiots.

Changed channels.

Call me heartless or call me fascist.

Nice to know when your phone line won't be in use. This might be good information for the NSA to have.

5/24/2006 8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I met Ira once. He seemed to view everyone that wasn't him as an alien. Friends of his (this amazes me, that he has friends) tell me that even if you meet him several times, he never remembers meeting you at all. I've also heard him described as The Biggest Horse's Ass In Chicago. I think he's finally moved to New York, where he can be get more attention for being important and lispy. When you get right down to it, he's yet another example of obsessive-compulsive disorder finding a socially acceptable means of expression.

Actually, I love the show, but it's sooo ripe for parody.

Now read that back in his voice.

5/31/2006 1:24 AM  
Blogger Dr. Sardonic said...

Yes, that's exactly his demeanor in person: like you're the first person he's ever tried to talk to. I've also seen TAL live, where his madness is even more in evidence. He seemed most at ease when I saw him emceeing the Valentine's pageant at the Empty Bottle: in front of a mike, above the crowd, band behind him, with the spotlight on him and everyone else in shadow.

It goes without saying that anyone less quirky wouldn't have created TAL. Can you imagine Joe Frank in person?

So has anyone actually listened to The Color of Love yet??

5/31/2006 2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes.

I listened to part of it, about 10 minutes.

It sounded sappy.

Normally I like the show.

Sorry.

Booger

5/31/2006 8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I can imagine Joe Frank in person, because I've worked with Joe several times in LA. Nicest, most generous guy you'd ever want to meet. Very shy, and yet you find yourself wondering where he keeps all the decomposing bones of all the children he's eaten.

6/03/2006 2:16 AM  
Blogger Dr. Sardonic said...

booger: you say sappy, I say poignant, but I understand that the booger sappiness threshold is set to low. De sappibus non est disputantem.

minitru: I always assumed he ate the bones. Works wonders for tartar control, dontcha know.

6/03/2006 5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home