Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Perfect Setup

Many in the blogosphere (possibly including you, dear reader) were wondering aloud if Stephen Colbert's performance at last month's White House Correspondents Dinner was intentionally omitted in several mainstream media accounts of the event. Dr. S is wondering if such omission was less motivated by politics than politeness. And politeness would dictate that Mr. Colbert send thank-you notes to those reporters who did him the courtesy of refraining from mentioning his performance. Fact is, he bombed — happens to the best of them. If you haven't already seen it, click below to see the obviously well-rehearsed and very funny skit that directly preceded Colbert's speech:






Now go back and look at the Bush reaction shots during Colbert performance (or the ABC feed of the camera trained on Bush). W isn't glowering — he's gloating that he just upstaged the headline act. He had a ringer, and he knew it; the whole thing was his idea. W just figured out what professional comedians have known for ages: there are few better setups for a comedy routine than a failed presidency.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tits McGee said...

My boyfriend is a comic genius. So shut up, you.

5/25/2006 12:53 AM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

Oooh, now you've made Tits mad, Sardonic.

Nice move.

Let's all go out for drinks; Tits and I can abuse you mercilessly.

5/25/2006 9:42 AM  
Blogger Tits McGee said...

I'm in! I love drunken merciless abuse!

5/25/2006 10:58 AM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

I am impatient and crabby. I may decide to unleash an angry tirade of jibberish that has nothing to do with you here.

I haven't decided yet.

5/29/2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

I am chipper today.

Your angry tirade warning has been cancelled. Although reading an article in the newspaper today about how much younger, hipper and more active Baby Boomer grandparents are than any previous generation made me want to puke.

I can't wait to read about how colostomy bags are now trendy and how the baby boomer walkers are "bling".

5/30/2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger Sysm said...

That's no fun, Ubie. Read this.

6/01/2006 5:15 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

The man's a fucking sociopath.

Not just misguided or a hillbilly dumbass.

He's a ruthless dictator.

I'm going to run amock now. Don't try to stop me.

6/01/2006 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home